Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Poor Boomer

So, a couple of weekends ago I was heading to a church enrichment activity with mom and my Aunt Elese and cousin Kari and was stopped behind at least 3 cars trying to turn left into Selvidge Middle School's parking lot. Raining out mind you. I've been stopped for at least a full minute, if not longer...when I hear this screeching of tires not getting traction to stop.

I look in my rear-view mirror...and see the car behind me is pretty close and I see a few other cars behind him...feel sorry for that poor person who is sliding their car and I hope they are able to stop before they hit someone...all of a sudden there's a loud BANG sound and my head is whipped forward. Yup, I was that poor car that got rearended. Sigh.

The boy (and I mean boy...in high school heading to work) said he looked off to the side, then looked forward and hadn't realized we were all stopped. (Yeah right...this is not some hill he just came over...he would have had to have seen us all stopped at least 200-300 feet back if not more.) He slammed on his brakes but...there was slidding and screeching. When I saw the car close to me in my rear-view mirror that was literally seconds before he hit me...didn't see the car swerve at all, and when I looked didn't appear to be moving but either I looked to quickly, or time stood still.

As my head was whipped forward I look in front of me and all of a sudden realize that my right foot has automatically lifted off the brake...and I'm heading towards the vehicle in front of me. I slam my foot down...but still collide with them. Darn it.

So we all turn into the schools parking lot and examine our cars...in the pouring rain. No damage to the car I was pushed into...so she goes off with my name and number saying she's not going to do anything since nothing happened to her car. My front bumper though is cracked down the middle...edges still connected so it's not hanging off or anything.

I then go to the back of my car (Boomer as I've named him)...my back bumper not too bad, but I can tell right away my trunk is askew and the other cars license plates numbers are embedded into my trunk. Now luckily my trunk is vinyl is luckily popped right back into shape after I was hit. Small things that made me feel better.

The car that hit me only had the front Make emblem broken off his car. Ugh...so in a 3 car accident...I'm the only one with damage really and all 4 of us in the car have whip lash. Fun times.

Sorry, totally forgot about taking pictures of the accident. But overall when you look at my car it didn't look too bad...mainly because my bumpers popped back into shape. But the estimate from the other drivers insurance has the damage costing around $2500 to repair. So, since Monday my car has been in the shop getting back to it's original Boomer glory. I hope anyways.

Repair was estimated to be done today, but I have to wait to hear from the body shop to now for sure. I've had a Chevy Cobalt as a loaner...cute car...smaller than mine and definately sits you up higher inside the vehicle. I took pictures of this one...but alas I keep forgetting to download the pics.

Hopefully repairs will be completed today and I will get my baby Boomer back. My poor baby.

So, to make this a little but more fun a post...here's the story behind the name, Boomer:

When I got my car I just kept calling it my baby. Not kidding. This was my first vehicle that I purchased...and I loved it...I got everything I wanted for a pretty good deal. But Baby is just not a good name for the car. So that weekend after I get it I'm driving to meet family, I think my dad and brother and his family, out in Chesterfield Valley for dinner...and I've turned the radio up to enjoy the music as I like to do. As I'm driving along...I realize that even though the bass from the radio is perfectly balanced...when I turn up the volume the bass is so strong my rear view mirror is pumping/shaking along with the beat...and it's really not up that high in volume.

Now me...I love the loud/strong bass of songs where you can feel the beat vibrating you from the inside out. Seriously...love that feeling...and with low volume and still getting that 'boom' was really cool. So at that moment...that name kinda entered into my thinking.

Then...as I'm driving home....I just keep thinking...I have a Boom Baby! Which then leads me to think of that line from "Emperors New Groove" from Disney when the emperor likes to enter a room, or he wins an argument or something....and he yells. "Boom Baby!" Hehe....I'm liking Boomer even more for a name.

But when I got my license plates the name was firmly cemented for my car...the letters on the plate they gave me were....



wait for it....




TNT.



Hehe. TNT (dynamite) goes Boom...so yup, my baby was now named Boomer!

3 comments:

Audra said...

Sorry about your accident. Whip Lash - SUCKS! Take care.

Cute story about your car's name. But your car doesn't look like a BOOMER. Your car looks sweet and nice. And to imagine you getting a good bass boom in that car - kinda, well it makes me laugh. sorry.

da mmm said...

Poor Boomer. It really didn't look that bad. Too bad our necks won't recover as fast as boomer.

Paige said...

Wow, glad you are okay and it wasn't any worse. That same thing just happened to me last fall and my neck and head hurt for a few days. Thank goodness for insurance, huh? What a clever name for your car, too. :)