Monday, February 16, 2009

We Want to Remodel the Kitchen

Okay, so Mom and I came to the decision that we can't stand the kitchen linoleum anymore. So, we want to fix up our kitchen. We were recommended a contractor through one of Mom's friends that is a quick worker, honest and resonably priced guy. So he came over got some measurements, and offered another update we hadn't really thought about.

While discussing it came up that probably the easiest thing to do would be to tear out all the lower cabinets and put the Ceramic/Porcelin tiles that we were leaning towards out over the whole floor, then re-install the cabinets over the new floor. Because of our layout it would be around the same cost as if they had to cut all those tiles to get it all to work/fit correctly. I also like this idea as then we wouldn't have to worry about not being able to get the dishwasher out in case it needs to be fixed or replaced as the new tiles would add a half inch to an inch at least on the floor height. Anyways...he also mentioned since we were doing that, we could get a new formica counter top to also help update the kitchen. He has a friend who could cut it and we could get a good deal on a good product. Oh...new idea! Love it! Now I not mind our butcher block counter, but Mom is not really a fan.

So our shopping/browsing for kitchen stuff takes a new turn. We now hunt for a new formica counter top we like. Below are our top four choices for counter tops...from left to right our favorites on down. Mom's favorite was number one, I was leaning more towards number two. The background is our weird sink color...we not want to replace this...even though and odd color we both love the sink and how it works for us. It really not that splotchy in color...the light from the window was reflecting and that is how it showed in the picture.



So we are shopping at the tile store now...the finally agree on a floor tile for the kitchen that will match our counter top pics...as we are girls and this MUST all go together. I see this example floor and love the pattern! It is so geometric and mom calls it an optical illusion. It's called a weave pattern.

We are not really leaning towards a green floor though, so we keep on looking.
In the back of the tile store they have example tiles laid out and we find this one below:


We both agree...this is the tile and pattern for us! It's lighter than our current floor, and should match the cabinets, sink and new counter selections. The different sizes make the pattern more interesting so the floor won't be totally boring. Now in the pic to me it seems a bit yellowish...which we didn't want, but once we take the example tiles home...I see no more yellow. It must be all those intense florescent lights at the store. :)



Here are the example tiles next to our cabinets (pay no attention to the water spots on the cabinets...we will clean those) so you can see how the matching will look. We've also decided on our option #1 on the counter tops. So see...here's how it should all look together once done. Hopefully this will help lighten up our kitchen. Also, you can see part of the current linoleum floor in the upper left background of this picture. Dark browns to soon disappear! :)



Here's the tiles, with our counter top choice and sink so you can see how those will go.

So...What's your opinion? You like our choices? Not like them? Input please...cause we are pretty set and want to go ahead and if you see ugliness I don't...I'd like to know. :)

Although it's too late to dislike the counter top...we ordering that making today hopefully. Well, we will at least tell the contractor what our choice is. :)

5 comments:

Paige said...

I love the second tile floor that you chose. Can't wait to see the finished product!

da mmm said...

The pictures don't do the new countertop color justice. It is pretty nice looking. The only thing I am concerned about is that the color of the sink will stand out. But I love that sink.

MAK said...

Home renivation! We know all about that! Were about to takel the last of our bathroom. What you piked all looks realy nice to me.

Hokie said...

I am so jealous, I have been through this process and have chosen my floors and counters already for whenever I have the money to do it. The counter you choose was one of the possibilities so I like it, but if I can tell from your pics, I will be going with the 2nd when I do mine.

I never considered doing a different pattern on the floor, I like it.

The whole thing will be great!

AmELiA BeDeLiA said...

Totally check out Hood's it is the number one spot to get cheap but good flooring that is a do-it-yourself and I love it... I designed a kitchen with flooring from Hood's and the home owners love it!