Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Imagination

So all of my life I have LOVED stories. Whether I was reading, writing, watching TV or listening they have always captured my imagination and pretty much take over my thought process until the story has come to an end. Even in college I took a Storytelling class...which was a blast. :)

I don't know what it is about stories that captures my mind so much. I swear I even learn things easier in a story format...once I hear it, it's in my memory for awhile. I mull it over, rehash all the details twists and turns, and evaluate how the overall outcome made me feel. And all the while, I can picture it all in my head. I'm very visual in my mind...which is why details of anything medical makes me nauseous and light headed (I picture it, then imagine how it would feel...feeling pain of others, or reliving my own is soo not good for my constitution).

And if I have to leave something in the middle of it's story...my mind will still focus on it when I'm doing other things. If I haven't skimmed ahead and read the ending to make sure what happens...I will seriously sit there and evaluate and re-evaluate what has happened and what my imaginiation will come up with on what could happen. My mind does not rest until I have completed what the author has put in front of me and seen where they wanted to take it. Why I don't know...but that is how my mind works. I'm wierd.

Anyways, yesterday I was finally in the mood to start the Twilight book series. (I saw a preview for the movie on this first book to be released this December 08 and wanted to read the books...so I bought all 4 online in early August. They have just been sitting there waiting for me to be in the "mood" to read them.)


In one day alone I read all 428 or so pages of this book (30 minutes before work, 50 mintues during lunch, then after I got home from work) as well as the 264 pages from the Midnight Sun story that was leaked online then the author posted online cause now she's even debating finish it at all. (Twilight from Bella's point of view, Midnight Sun from Edward's point of view) BTW - I liked reading both of these together...it really helps the whole story flow well...seeing inside the mind of both characters.
So overall I read a little more than 700 pages yesterday...and I swear I wasn't skim reading at all...I was engrossed in every word. Stephenie really is such a good author. I couldn't put them down...even though I read the whole plot online Wikipedia (and I have for each of the books in the series) I just had to read for myself how the story unfolded and what was to happen next.
Once I was done...I felt like I was finally back in the real world. And I also felt that I had pretty much missed the whole day...I blocked out what I did normally because I just couldn't put down that book.
So...I have now decided that I can't keep doing this to myself. I swear my brain won't work right until I finish each book if I keep on reading. My resolution: I can only continue this series if I read on weekends...when I have more time to ignore the world and engross myself in the books world.
This is going to be hard. I wonder...does anybody else get this caught up like this with anything? Or am I the lone weird person? :)

7 comments:

Chantalita said...

It is the same for me. I used to read voraciously. But I realized that I would put life aside until I finished the book. I came to a similar conclusion to you, except that my reading of literature in general pretty much ceased...for a very long time. I love it though. I studied humanities in college because of my love for literature and architecture. It is just that...I love it too much. I struggle balancing.

Paige said...

Wow, you're a fast reader! It is easy to get absorbed in them--although I must have some sort of ADD b/c I can't sit there for too long reading. (Maybe I just feel guilty for neglecting my house and my child). :) Anyways, I think it's cool that you have a good mind for stories. I wish I was more like that!

Audra said...

I am not a quick reader - I actually hate to read, I like to talk. Hee hee!

I read that series in about 5 days with all 4 books. It is what I call a beach read - easy, fun reading. I loved that I was able to finish them and not keep reading them while I am trying to teach piano. Another little joke. I hated the second book, so good luck.

da mmm said...

I love to read and read and read. But I love to do other things with a passion also.

Anonymous said...

Me wanna borrow please ;)

Heather said...

Chrissy, I found you through Paige's blog and then I noticed that you had my name on your list of fellow bloggers! How long have you been stalking me! He he! j/k.
I too got totally absorbed in these books. I think I finished all four in about two weeks. There were some REALLY late nights.

Crystal and Billy said...

Me too! I've read those books, in fact; but not the one from Edward's point of view. I'm looking forward to the movie.