Friday, August 29, 2008

Lessons

So, if you ever want to feel inadequate...just try and relearn something you used to know how to do, but have forgotten how to do as it's been too long. :)

When I was in 7th grade I was in band. First chair flute, and no one could beat me. It was great. Then one Tuesday I go into the band room...and my flute wasn't on the shelf where we kept them. I looked and looked, couldn't find it anywhere. To make this short...it was stolen and never recovered. I loved flute, and I never played again...till last night. :)

My friend LaHok has an extra flute and kept telling me she'd give me flute lessons (for her own reason. she has a quartet flute piece and only knows 3 flute players currently so I am to learn and maybe fill in the 4th position, if I can learn how to play again). So...first off, I'm a little off on remembering how to breath into the flute...don't remember it ever being a problem when I was younger. Then I try to remember the fingering...wow. I remember just picking it up when younger. This will take some practice to get used to this again. Which I'm sure LaHok will appreciate cause some of those notes I was playing were just...painful! :)

So have any of you ever tried to pick up a lost talent? Was it harder than you remember it being the first time?

Oh, BTW...We did check out the shed...the plastic liner at the top of the shed beneath the deck (to keep the weather and other things from falling in) have bend with age. The portions from halfway towards the house are all hanging down into the shed...one hit the light pull while falling and the momentum turned on the light. Seriously must have been recently cause that light can't have been on that long to have not burned out yet.

So, no random homeless person living in our shed. Overactive imagination is wrong...again. :) Happy Friday! And happy labor day weekend!

3 comments:

da mmm said...

You should pick the flute up fairly quickly. Take it over to D's this weekend and see if Cody likes it. Do you have a fingering chart?
The shed...We need to try to put those back in place. I have a feeling a cat climbed up in there and caused it to happen.

Paige said...

Wow, first chair huh? Good job! That's so sad that you didn't get to play it after it was stolen. I played flute too but I don't think it would come back to me as easily!

Glad everything worked out with the shed. I would have thought the same thing about someone in there.

Audra said...

Get Matt to clean out the shed. Just my thought.